Monday 20 August 2018

Ten Significant Books - Day 9

This is another school text book - the first one on our 'O' level syllabus. It sticks in my mind as being the first book I felt I 'had' to read and the first book I didn't enjoy reading. Up until this point, all school text books, had been enjoyable, even though they might not have been books I would have selected to read.

When I look back on it now, the writer and the book were not at fault. 'Treasure Island' is a brilliant book with fantastic characters. Without Long John Silver we probably wouldn't have Captain Jack Sparrow.
I didn't enjoy this due to the way it was taught. Our English teacher was sarcastic and had a habit of belittling pupils in the class who weren't her 'favourites'. I can remember her reading out misquotes from the book to everyone in class that some of our class mates had invented in their exam papers and she never seemed to like any of the boys. I'm pleased to say I wasn't one of her 'favourites' and that her behaviour didn't put me off enjoying the other text books, going on to study 'A' level English and having an appreciation of pirates.

No comments:

Post a Comment