Thursday 16 August 2018

Ten Significant Books - Day 5

On Day 5 - it had to be a Famous Five book! I grew to love and read practically everything Enid Blyton wrote - from the Noddy books, Amelia Jane, The Magic Faraway Tree, Mr Meddles Muddles, The Secret Seven Books, the St Clare and Malory Towers series to of course the Famous Five. If Enid Blyton wrote it, I've probably read it.



At this time in my life I could have read a book a day - oh to have the time to do that now! And often I did. Mum took us to Carrickfergus library regularly and we also were lucky to have a mobile library that came up our road once a fortnight. I was able to order books and have them delivered in the library van almost to the door - for free! - much better than Amazon! I remember well the joy of looking out the front window waiting for the library van to negotiate our narrow, bumpy road and how excited I was to climb up the steps to see if any of the books I had ordered had arrived.
Through our brilliant library service and my Mum going into a bomb damaged Belfast regularly to buy me a book I worked my way through the Famous Five books. I read all of them - or rather I started to read all of them. There was one of the stories I never finished and it wasn't anything to do with the story or my reading ability. I wish I could remember which book it was. I started reading it and around a third of the way into the book, noticed that it had been printed wrong and the story started again for a second time - but didn't finish. Mum took it back to the shop the next week and got her money back. They didn't have another copy as she had ordered it in and while they tried to order another copy it never arrived. The library weren't able to get a copy either. So the Famous Five book, whose name I can't remember sticks in my mind for being the first book I've never finished reading. And while I don't like to be defeated, I'm not going to read them all now to complete the challenge!
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment