Sunday 19 August 2018

Ten Significant Books - Day 8

This book haunts me. But not only because of the wonderful story written so brilliantly.


And not just this novel - but this particular version of it.


It was one of my 'A' level English texts which I had recurring anxiety dreams about many years after I'd passed my exams and completed my English degree. Unfortunately our teacher took ill during our 'A' level course and we were very much left to our own devices to get through the syllabus. While it stood us in good ground for working on our own at university some of us might have got better grades if we'd been allocated a temporary teacher to support us rather than being shoved in with another class. Parents today wouldn't put up with it.

As I looked through the novel I still have I came across a couple of interesting bookmarks!


I didn't realise at the time the impact this had on me and for years afterwards if I was feeling anxious about something I would dream that I needed to re-read 'Wuthering Heights' again for my exam the following day.

I passed the exam with a very respectable grade and went on to university. Had I got a better grade I would have gone on to study law rather than English literature, and I'm more than happy that I spent three years reading novels, poetry and plays.

No comments:

Post a Comment