Monday 7 December 2020

Christmas traditions

The first weekend in December usually heralds the start of festivities  - the Christmas tree going up, writing Christmas cards, our annual trip to the local pantomime and the Coney writers Christmas lunch. 

But not this year. Everything is different. 
I've had a Christmas tree up for a month already - it definitely helps brighten up dark days, though my main reason for putting it up so early was for the launch of ' Underneath the Tree'.



I've started to write my Christmas cards. It's taking longer than usual as I'm writing a note in each one. And I'm sending a few more than usual, to include some friends and family who may not be on my Christmas card list but their details are in my address book. I think a little note to someone out of the blue, won't do anyone any harm, especially this year.


There is no trip to the pantomime this December. I know my nieces look forward to it each year, and so do I, but like many events in the arts it's not happening this year. Thankfully we've many happy panto memories to look back on. (Oh yes we have!)


And we couldn't have our Coney Christmas lunch  - instead we opted for an evening get together via zoom. Everyone made the effort getting dressed up in a festive way - Santa, elf and Christmas tree hats competed with Christmas jumpers and a snowman jacket and matching tie. Everyone was in good spirits and could enjoy a festive tipple without worrying about how they'd get home safely later on a cold frosty night (there are some advantages in lockdown). We chatted about writing, what some of us have been doing in our spare time, giggled, shared writing news and toasted each other,  thankful of the group, the support and encouragement it provides as well as the good friends we've made and kept over the years. Here's to 2021 and getting back to Coney again.



No comments:

Post a Comment