Monday 5 August 2024

Scots inspiration

I picked up my battered copy of Robert Burns' poetry at a jumble sale many years ago, when still at school and contemplating studying English literature. Ironically I studied and learned more of Burns' work at home and at primary school - his work wasn't included on the syllabus at grammar school and at university there weren't any modules as part of my English language and literature degree then covering his work.


On a recent road trip to Scotland, I took a welcome break from traffic disruption to stop off at the Robert Burns museum in Alloway, Ayrshire. I've popped in before for a quick bite to eat in the cafe and a hasty look around the shop, but this time I had a bit more time, so I was able to visit the museum exhibits.


Seeing the actual desk at which Robert Burns sat down to write and his writing set, along with some actual manuscripts was awe-inspiring. 


The museum displays have been carefully curated so that those who are not so familiar with Scots can understand fully what is being conveyed in Burns' writing.


The visit was a good start to a welcome break in Scotland and inspired me to get my own notebook and pen out to write while I was there.

No comments:

Post a Comment