Thursday 5 October 2023

Poetry prompt

I was delighted to be asked to contribute to a 'People's Poem' by the SWRI branch where my dear late aunt had spent many happy hours. She had been secretary and member for many years and frequently told me about the craft challenges she was taking part in (and often winning). I know she would have enjoyed taking part in creating the branch's People's Poem. It was therefore an honour to be asked to take part.

The branch had been inspired by a recent visit and talk from local poet and Scots Makar Kathleen Jamie. My aunt had introduced me to Kathleen Jamie's writing many years ago when she bought me a copy of one of her poetry books. 




Given the topical theme of 'autumn', I sat down to write a couple of lines which I could contribute. Therein lay the challenge. As I started to write it was difficult to contain my thoughts and to only use two lines. Before I knew it I had written a short poem. But the initial lines I'd thought of were extracted and sent off for the People's Poem. 

I'd love to have been with the ladies to hear them share this poem when they met on the evening of #NationalPoetry Day. While they were meeting, I sat at home a couple of hundred miles away and read today's poem from 'A Poem for Every Day of the Year' with my niece. Coincidentally, it had the same theme.




And the other poem found its way on to The Dirigible Balloon's website just in time for their #NationalPoetryDay flight.


Isn't it amazing where a few words can take you?




No comments:

Post a Comment