Monday 2 January 2023

Looking back - Looking forward

I didn't make any specific writing goals a year ago, other than to continue writing and developing my craft. I'm pleased to say I achieved these, enjoying the writing journey along the way.


An added bonus was a little bit of success along the way with several acceptances and publications.  I had a number of poems featured in anthologies locally and nationally and continued to spot my poems on trees in local parks. 


2022 also saw several of my poems for children featured on the Dirigible Balloon's website. https://dirigibleballoon.org/

It also saw the return to more in-person meet ups with writers. I took part in a couple of online writing workshops but it was exciting to go to a series of in-person writing workshops in the spring in Carrickfergus museum and to write new stories. It was good to get back to meeting other writers to share, learn, have fun together and be inspired.




2023 looks to be an exciting writing year already. I’ve been shortlisted in a local writing competition and will hear more about that in the next few weeks. Some of my writing friends have new books launching this year and I'm really looking forward to celebrating their successes with them. My godson gifted me a very appropriate Christmas present which I've already started to use.


And although I'm beginning to pack away my Christmas decorations for another year, there is one decoration that I'm keeping out. 


Mr Owl was gifted to me by a writing friend and I've already decided that he's going to be my writing mascot in 2023. While he may be wearing a Santa hat, he will be very appropriate to me in my writing journey this year. The gold star on top of his Santa hat will inspire me to strive to improve my writing and his tangled Christmas lights will remind me to look for writing inspiration throughout the year and not be put off when I get stuck. As an owl he's the fitting companion as I take on a new voluntary role from tomorrow in the writing community with the Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators (SCBWI) as Ireland Regional Adviser.

No comments:

Post a Comment