Friday 27 January 2023

Fair plaised wi masel

Am fair plaised wi masel. Absolutely delighted and thrilled! I'd heard a few weeks ago that I'd been shortlisted in a local writing competition and yesterday on a crisp, sunny January day I set out for the awards ceremony in Belfast's Linenhall library.




This is the oldest library in Belfast and houses one of the largest Robert Burns collections outside Scotland. I've known his work for as long as I can remember, having heard poems recited at home and learned songs at primary school.



It was very fitting therefore that we gathered at the Linenhall library the day after Burns night for the 2022 Ulster Scots writing competition awards. 


My story 'Worth Hir Saut' took shape last year during a writing workshop I attended in Carrickfergus museum. I was inspired by the museum's exhibition 'A Most Proper Verdict' which examined attitudes to crime and punishment in 19th century Co. Antrim. A fact in the accompanying brochure about the prisoners' rations stuck with me and prompted my story.  



Changing the POV in an early draft of the story enabled my main character to come alive and I was very clear from the start how she spoke. Even in an early draft written in English, she spoke in Ulster Scots.  After having been in Scotland for around a month last autumn, I re-worked the entire story in Ulster Scots and submitted it to the competition. It was the first time I'd attempted to write anything in Ulster Scots and while that was challenging, I was so familiar with the language as older generations in my family had spoken it at home.



I was therefore thrilled yesterday to find out that my story was runner up in the competition's prose category. The judges provided very encouraging feedback which is very much appreciated. My story, along with the other winners is included in a beautiful booklet developed by the Linenhall library where copies are available to purchase.

No comments:

Post a Comment