Wednesday 30 December 2020

New Year writing goals - are they worth it?

In previous years I've often set myself writing goals at the start of a new year. Last year I didn't for a variety of reasons and the way 2020 turned out for all of us, it was good not to have them lurking in the background not being achieved when life took over and at times writing had to take a back seat.


It's been a difficult year for most of us and just coping and surviving 2020 should be enough for all of us. At times there were several writing droughts for me during the year, but I knew there would be other times when I would write again. This bizarre year also brought different writing opportunities and perversely the most difficult year we've all had to face, has been the one in which my writing has been shared wider than previous years - I had my first ebook published, poems and short stories broadcast on radio, featured in online journals, magazines and published in anthologies.


It's a strange coincidence this has happened in the first year in recent times that I didn't set myself writing goals.  I'm a firm believer in setting goals and believe it's because of the discipline of setting goals in previous years (as some of these published projects first emerged in earlier years) and that writing provided a welcome escape from what 2020 threw at us, that I can now look back over the year knowing goals from previous years have been achieved. The next challenge will be to decide what my 2021 writing goals will be.....

No comments:

Post a Comment