Sunday 9 June 2013

What a writing week!

What a writing week it has been! An amazing, inspiring, encouraging week. I feel humbled to know that in the past week I have had a BAFTA winner (Damian Gorman) and a Whitbread winning author  (Geraldine McCaughrean) reading my work! Not only did they read it, Damian gave me constructive Face to face feedback on it and Geraldine judged it to be among the best received in a national competition! It feels like I'm definitely moving forward with my writing. Here's the prize winning poem:

CHERISHED FRIEND

Queen of all ‘pick-me-ups’
We have been lifelong friends.
You have turned up, faithfully
At all my celebrations,
Birthdays, Christmas,
Anniversaries, Easter.
Always welcome, though
Your visits are short.
I seek you out
On dark days.
Always comforting,
You have never let me down.

Queen of all harvests
We have been lifelong friends.
You have turned up, faithfully
For seasons of celebrations,
Planting, Growing,
Harvesting, Selling.
Always welcome as
Your presence nourishes.
We work with you
Every day.
Always sustaining,
You have never let us down.





No comments:

Post a Comment