Sunday 4 March 2012

Looking into the past

Great session at Coney Island yesterday (yes, that Coney Island, the location for the Oscar winning film 'The Shore' - its even more beautiful and breathtaking in real life).
Thanks to Maddie and local Coney shop keeper Michael Howland for providing us with a copy of the Down Recorder petty sessions from 1852 as inspiration. How much more interesting were newspapers then than today? And dare I say the style and skill of writing could put some modern day journalists to shame.
Looking forward to the next session when we're going to use an old letter as inspiration.
I havent stopped googling since I got home - so many ideas and one thread leads to another taking me in a new direction. Really enoyed the session and its got me back on track researching my family history and the story contained therein...
As always great company with Maddie, Mairi, Rhonda and Jo and it was great to make Mossie's acquaintance. I'm sure he will inspire a few stories over the coming months as he settles into his new home.

No comments:

Post a Comment