Sunday 9 December 2018

Can pantomime change the world? Oh yes it can!

It's that time of the year again - pantomime time - oh yes it is! Last night some of my favourite little people, big people and I were entertained at one of our local theatres to a fantastic performance of Peter Pan.
It was a close tie between Captain Hook and Tinkerbell as to who our favourite character was.
Mr Hullabaloo and his team never fail to impress with their songs, costumes and puppets http://www.mrhullabaloo.co.uk/mrhullabaloo_hom.html Going to the pantomime usually heralds the start of the Christmas festivities for us. One of my nieces recently told me it's her favourite part of Christmas and it is lovely to enjoy this magic with the little people in my life.

 
This pantomime is probably my favourite for a number of reasons - it's not the traditional fairytale with a prince and a princess and it's a more modern story than most. But to me it's much more than this - it's story behind the story and the legacy the writer JM Barrie left. 
Peter Pan first appeared as a character in 1902 and the book has never been out of print since. In 1929 he gifted the copyright from Peter Pan to Great Ormond Street Hospital - that's what I call a writing legacy. You can read more about this here https://www.gosh.org/about-us/peter-pan/history and how the House of Lords took an unprecedented decision a few years ago to ensure that the hospital receives the rights in perpetuity.  
There's still tickets available - so get along and see it!

No comments:

Post a Comment